Friday, October 8, 2010

Surface Research and Destroy

I've been really getting into my surface research and destroy project because I get to make a lot of things that I had never pictured myself making and doing things to them that I never imagined myself doing. It's a very creative and interesting experience. I am recording my project in video format to create a sort of documentary of the process. As of now, I'm not planning to narrate.

To begin my project, I bought a hideous coat from Diversity Thrift. As you see below, this shitty excuse for a piece of clothing has blue-ginger faux fur. I picked it out for its extra flair.


Then, I got a seam ripper and took apart some of the brown lining inside of the jacket. Directly on that brown lining, I painted Christopher Walken's head in acrylic. 


My next step for the project is to sew his head onto the top of the jacket, as if he were wearing it. Then, burn his face off and part of the jacket, as well. I chose Christopher Walken because he has died in almost every film he's played a role in. In fact, before 2005, he's died in every film he's been in. So naturally, he is chosen to get destroyed. 

After Walken's destruction (he won't be Walken on sunshine anymore), I will create a tree from the ashes as symbolization of new growth. The blue faux fur will serve as part of the landscape. Then I will stomp on the tree, as things in nature, especially nowadays more than ever, get destroyed. Better said, they get stomped by society's wants for more wood to have more homes, stuff, etc. 

The process will continue from there until I have completed 7 creations and destructions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment